This month’s full moon, known as the pink moon, will not be as spectacular as the prior super-moon. It will appear on April 11. 2017. In fact, it’s just the opposite. This time around, the moon will be furthest from the earth, making the moon appear much smaller.
Why is it called a pink moon?
Why of course it’s spring! The name “pink moon” is a native name, derived from the early pink blooms of phlox. Other names for the april full moon include egg moon and sprouting grass moon. Does the moon actually appear pink? Not really, same as a blue moon isn’t really blue.
Is the moon masculine or feminine?
Language has developed with assignment of gender to objects. The German language, and even the ancient Sanskrit language associate the sun with feminine, and the moon with masculine. But english sways toward the french interpretation, stating the moon is feminine, while the sun is masculine. The french interpretation does seem to make more sense, with the moon associated to cycles. The cloaking of the moon by moon phases and eclipses also ties in to mystical, inward, and intuitive meaning.
A moon is a moon, but like any other object in (or near) this world, people have studied and analyzed, and assigned symbolic meaning to the moon. Here are some of the symbolic meanings associated with the moon:
- Cycles: birth through death (waxing and waning)
- Symbol of the soul (astrology)
- Man’s ability to adapt (horoscope)
- Inner intuitive self
- Yin side of Yin and Yang (relationship)
- Time “for days, and years” (Bible)
Full Pink moon and intuitive meaning
You can look at most everything around you and find some level of intuitive meaning. Today let’s delve into the intuitive meaning of a full pink moon. These ideas are all thoughts that you can use in meditation, or for personal acknowledgement of your accomplishments.
- Give attention to both your “full moon” moments, when you are bright and shining, and also the many phases that lead to and follow your full moon moments. Not every day (or night) is bright and shiny. Some accomplishments are simple, quiet, and may go unnoticed. Routine may seem boring, but each step can be an important step in achieving success. Celebrate it all, both your full moon moments and all the steps you’ve taken to support who you are today.
- Focus on the silence, the night, and the time you are given to rejuvenate. We know the importance of sleep. What about rejuvenation during your waking hours. How do you give rest and replenishing for the body, emotion, mind, and spirit? Give each of these levels a gift of awareness and appreciation. “Here, this is for you. Thank you, I love you.”
- Remember that the moon cycle is the most natural symbol of the passage of time. We are blessed with our ability to remember and ability to plan for the future. Take a moment to recall your focus back to the present moment. You can add a blessing as you regroup your attention and energy: “I give thanks for every moment, and dedicate my soul to making every moment count”.
Enjoy your pink moon, and joining in the celebration!
Photo by Rennett Stowe from USA (Pink Moon) [CC BY 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons